My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Timor-Leste

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Free Nelson Mandela

Today, I saw Nelson Mandela. I'd heard the rumours on Monday that he'd be in Trafalgar Square. On Thursday Morning, the radio confirmed it. I went for a cigarette break, alone, thought about it, and thought 'Stuff work. I'm going to see Nelson, it's not like I'm in prison.'. Work very kindly obliged, and set me free.

The whole bus journey, I felt little jitters down the back of my neck. I was proper happy, and gagging to tell eveyone: 'Did you know Nelson Mandela's talking in Trafalgar Square? The Nelson Mandela.'
I texted almost everyone in my phone book. Two people replied with, 'say hi from me.'. Edward said he'd go if it was Nelson Muntz. Some were jealous, and others ignored me.

There's not much to be said other than the quote which people attribute to Nelson Mandela, but isn't from him at all
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. Is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be. You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Good words aren't they

4 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

You get to ask him what he thought about Winnie and Nelson? You know, Bill Cosby's TV grand-kids.

11:23 PM  
Blogger elwheelio said...

Free-eee Nelson Mand-e-la! Did you know he was named after that song?

12:14 AM  
Blogger elwheelio said...

on a serious note, this is all rather humbling and, no doubt, something you will always remember.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Edward said...

Damn. I should think twice before being flippant in future. Who knows where my comments will end up.

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home