My Photo
Name:
Location: London, Timor-Leste

Thursday, November 17, 2005

There's a hole in my buttock

Dear Kitty,
I have now scored my first hat-trick of failed job interviews. It really isn't something to be proud of. I have been the second best candidate in all of them, and am destined to be the Tony Jarrett of non-profit administrative competitions. I am also down to my last pair of trousers, since my $5 denim jeans have a hole the size of Canada in the left buttock area, just below the cusp of my underpants. Probably made when I let someone ram me up the bottom in a job interview. And my bank cards are refusing to spout money, in spite of there being a couple of morsels left in the accounts. The recruitment agencies don't have any work this week, the job centre can't meet me until tomorrow, and there is a faint smell of cheese in the kitchen that I can't locate.
The feedback from the last interview told me absolutely nothing, other than that for almost every question they wished I'd expanded on my answer a bit more, because the winning candidate had expanded. Now, I was always under the impression that when someone nods and doesn't have any questions to ask you, that you have satisifed their desire. Surely, they would ask a question if there was more to answer. I answered one question by telling them I would use mailmerge to perform their example task. This was the right answer. I got 'adequate' because I didn't explain how to perform a mailmerge in more detail. I did a fucking mailmerge in their test, what more did they need to know.

I am reminded of a job test I went to where I was given a booklet. The booklet explained that Ms. Hyndley (fictional name) would be off work for a while, and I would have to arrange cover for her tasks. There was a print-out of her week's fictional timetable, and a print-out of my fictional timetable. She was due to work on reception when I was meant to be at the dentist. In my test, I explained that I would find cover for when i was at the dentist's. I lost points for this. I told the person who failed me that I was not going to cancel a dentist's appointment while someone else got to take a whole week off. In the same test, I had to look after a work experience boy who would shadow my work for an afternoon. I scheduled for them to shadow me while I did some of Ms. Hyndley's work. This was wrong. I double-booked. The person shadowing had to watch me do nothing apparently.

Must dash. 21 seconds to go. LIbrary. I will shortly be moving into my loft to wait for the Germans.
Anne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home